Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lust: John Hardy Palu Macan Tiger collection

[jrdunn.com]

I'm a big John Hardy fan. Though I've had a few issues with some of his pieces, and they had to be sent back to Bali (where their main workshop is located) to be repaired, I think that the company does beautiful work. I have a lot of pieces from the Kali collection. They're all very wearable. Right now I'm obsessed with the Palu Macan Tiger collection.

My favorite pieces in the Palu Macan collection are the silver kick cuff ($895), dome ring ($495) and medium twist chain bracelet ($495). Though I'm very into gold jewelry at the moment, the sterling silver tiger design is unique and beautiful. Plus, it would go well with my other Hardy pieces.

According to johnhardy.com, Macan means tiger in Balinese. It is the symbol of "courage, passion and triumph over the impossible." Hardy moved to Bali in 1975 where he studied Balinese jewelry making. He formed the company in 1989. Then in 1998, Hardy hired Guy Bedarida from Van Cleef & Arpels as head designer. In 2007, Hardy retired and sold the company to Damien Dernoncourt and Bedarida.

The company is very green and earth-friendly too. Who doesn't love that? In 2006, they launched their Sustainable Advertising Program where they calculate carbon emissions associated with their print ads then plant the equivalent number of bamboo trees in Bali. They also plant bamboo for every piece in sold in the lovely bamboo collection.

My local jewelry store Fink's sent me a gift card for $100 off $500 purchase of John Hardy (hence the reason this falls in the budget category too!). So tempting. They're also hosting an event in Richmond where you can meet Bedarida on Saturday, November 7 at Short Pump Town Center where he will talk about his inspirations for the pieces in the 2009 fall collection. He will also autograph any piece purchased at the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment