Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kings of Leon=Amazing


I saw Kings of Leon at the Patriot Center in Washington, D.C. This was the third time I've seen them live, and they get better each time. With a general admission ticket, I was up very close to the stage. The Tennesee-bred KOL are wildly popular in Europe, but are just starting to catch on in the United States with more radio-friendly music like "Sex on Fire" and "Use Somebody," which was used frequently in support of the Obama campaign. However, I still love their older stuff that is very Southern rock/blues.

NYC band The Walkmen opened for KOL. I really liked their mellow sound, and the lead singer has a great voice.

The Followill boys didn't make us wait too long, and they were promptly on at 9:15 p.m. KOL is comprised of three brothers: Caleb (lead singer), Jared (bass guitar) and Nathan (drums), and their cousin Matthew (lead guitar).

They sang a lot of their more popular songs off of their newest album "Only By the Night." I was hoping to hear some more songs from my favorite album "Aha Shake Heartbreak" - namely my all-time favorite song "Soft." They did sing some other faves though like "Milk," "The Bucket" and "Taper Jean Girl" from that album. The popular "On Call," "Knocked Up" and "Charmer" from their third album "Because of the Times" were also performed beautifully. They also sang a gospel song, which is fitting since their father is a Pentecostal minister.

KOL has a very casual stage presence. I'm not even sure that they have a set list - it appears that they just wing it. The boys returned for an encore to play four or five more songs. Caleb was very grateful to the audience, and said "we know what it's like forking over all that money to see four guys play." Too precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment