Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Close call for the next American Idol

Last night’s American Idol was the best of the season. The contestants sang two songs – one judges’ choice and one choice of their own. Who on Earth will go tonight? I honestly haven’t a clue.

The judges’ song choices were unimpressive. Paula chose “Dance Little Sister” by Terence Trent D’Arby for Danny Gokey. I’ve never heard that song, and I wasn’t particularly wowed by his performance. Kris Allen sang Randy and Kara’s choice of One Republic’s “Apologize.” I was expecting to really like this since I love the song, but it turned out to be a second-rate performance of the original. Simon picked U2’s “One” for Adam Lambert. I thought I’d love it, but it turned out to be a little too mellow for what we’re used to hearing from Adam.

Thank heaven for the contestants’ song choices. They were spectacular! Danny did a gorgeous, soulful rendition of Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful.” This is the Danny we know and love. Kris sang an acoustic version of Kanye West’s “Heartless.” That was an unexpected surprise, and it definitely put him in the running for the finals. I’m sure many people downloaded it from iTunes immediately. Now for Mr. Lambert – he chose Aerosmith’s “Cryin’.” In theory, it sounds like a great choice with Steven Tyler’s vocal range being similar to Adam’s. I didn’t LOVE it though. Nonetheless, Adam has the most powerful and unique voice out of the three.

Tonight will be interesting. I don’t want any of them to go home, but alas, someone has to leave. I really hope the judges behave tonight. Their arguing and constant banter is distracting and annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment