Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Life in Ruins

I saw a sneak preview of My Life in Ruins last night starring Nia Vardalos from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I didn't know what to expect from another Greece-themed film featuring Vardalos, but I was pleasantly surprised with this romantic comedy.

Georgia (Vardalos) has lost her job as a history professor at Athens University due to budget cuts and is now a tour guide for Pangloss Tours. She's gotten bad evaluations because of her informative, academic tours, as opposed to the kitschy, cheap souvenir-oriented tours that her rival gives.

Her boss gives her the bad groups with people like stereotypical annoying American tourists (played by comic actors Rachel Dratch and Harland Williams), looking-for-men Spanish divorcees and drunk Australians. The bright spot on Georgia's tour is an ornery, but sweet older gentleman, Irv (Richard Dreyfuss), who has recently lost his wife. He eventually helps Georgia get her mojo back.

The tour bus is driven by a scruffy Greek man, Poupi (pronounced Poopy, ha!), who after shaving upon Georgia's suggestion turns into a sensitive hunk (played by Alexis Georgoulis). He, of course, becomes Georgia's love interest.

Overall, it's a cute movie with a few chuckles. It's definitely not as memorable as MBFGW, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. It reminded me of how badly I want to visit Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment