Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Wrestler

In The Wrestler, Randy "the Ram" Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is an aging wrestler doing gigs at rec centers and gyms. After he has a heart attack, he discovers that he is alone. He tries to build upon a relationship with a stripper played by Marisa Tomei who at first only treats him as a "customer." He also unsuccessfully tries to patch up a rocky relationship with his daughter (Evan Rachel Wood).

There is a lot of blood and gore during the wrestling stunts. I had to avert my eyes several times. I always thought that these type of wrestlers did fake stunts - definitely not the case in this film!

Rourke's character is both touching and heartbreaking. He's an exceptional actor. I think he earned his Golden Globe, and he'll probably win the Oscar too.

1 comment:

  1. i dont think i could watch this movie...he gives me the creeps with his weird facelift. YOW!

    ReplyDelete