Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Robin Hood"

My fiancé and I saw Ridley Scott's Robin Hood this past weekend. I newly discovered that he's a Robin Hood aficianado, so naturally this movie was a must-see. I wanted to see it as well because I'm a fan of Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. Unfortunately the film was a bit of a disappointment (OK, maybe I was slightly annoyed to begin with after they wouldn't accept my free movie pass!).

Crowe plays Robin Longstride. Most of the film takes place before he was given the nickname Robin Hood, which was actually quite interesting. He's fighting in the war with King Richard the Lionheart. After the king dies, he discovers the knights carrying the king's crown being ambushed in the woods. The traitorous Godfrey (also the villain in Sherlock Holmes, Mark Strong) and the French carried out the attack.

Robin assumes the identity of Robert Locksley of Nottingham to take the crown back to England. Once in Nottingham, Locksley's wife, Marion (Blanchett), becomes his new "wife" as his father insists that he pretend that he is Locksley, which was a little weird.

As we all know, he and Marion fall in love, but their relationship wasn't developed well enough for it to be believable. He tells her he loves her rather suddenly. The whole film is very dark too - yes, I know it was the Dark Ages but still!

I was surprised to learn that an unrecognizable Matthew Macfayden, a.k.a. Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice, played the Sheriff of Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment