Monday, March 23, 2009

Best drugstore beauty buys

I have loved beauty products for as long as I can remember. My mom took me to the Clinique counter when I was about 12-years-old to have my makeup done, and I have been obsessed ever since. However, in this economy my beloved $60 Chanel foundation and $30 Smashbox eyeshadows seem a bit frivolous. Here are some of my favorite tried-and-true inexpensive beauty buys.

Face
-Rimmel Oil-Free Gentle Eye Makeup Remover ($5). I swear by this gentle eye makeup remover. It's non-oily and gets the makeup off in a few sweeps without leaving residue.

-Maybelline The Colossal Volum Express ($7.50). No one makes better inexpensive mascara than Maybelline. This mascara in Glam Black has a fat brush that makes my lashes look much fuller. I'm also a fan their XXL Volume + Length mascara.

-St. Ives Apricot Scrub ($4). I've been using this scrub for years. It's a hard-working exfoliant that's great to use a few times a week for a fresh glow.

-Olay Definity Illuminating Cream Cleanser ($7). I use this cleanser on my face daily. It has gentle exfoliating beads plus glucosamine for brightness. It's perfect for uneven or dull skin.

-Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock SPF 55 ($9). I get major freckles the second the sun touches my face. This sunblock feels light but provides ultimate protection from the sun's harmful rays.

Hair
-Pantene ProV Beautiful Lengths shampoo and conditioner ($3.50/each). This fairly new line from Pantene leaves my long hair silky and smooth. Pantene claims that it strengthens hair against damage so that it grows longer.

-Dove Flexible Hold Hairspray ($3.99). This hairspray smells great and gives a movable hold that won't give you helmet head.

-L'Oreal Paris Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner ($5/each). This line contains Omega 3 and 6, olive oil and royal jelly. With this triple threat of nutrients, my hair looks healthier.

Body
-Jergens Natural Glow Express ($7). I can not live without this stuff. It gives me a natural tan without the streaks. I mix it with some lotion to make it more subtle. Jergens says that it gives you a full shade of summer color in a mere three days.

-Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Body Lotion ($3.60 for 10 oz.). This lotion sinks in well and leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized, not greasy.

-Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream ($2.50). Sure this is for men, but you just don't need fancy shave gel. This stuff lathers well and works great.

-N.Y.C. Color Long-Wearing Nail Enamel ($0.99). This polish gives my Chanel polish a run for its money. It comes in tons of fun colors, lasts a long time and is dirt cheap.

I also recommend scouring your Sunday paper for coupons. I always find good ones for makeup and hair products.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting content.

    Just wanted to share some information that may help busy professionals caught up with work and who have less time to maintain their nails. You can try out gel nails which are now becoming a hot favorite as they are natural looking even without nail tips and the best way for nail enhancement. Also, if you are allergic to those strong smelling chemicals which you can experience with acrylic nails, then you should use gel nails as these are odorless.

    However, when you are planning on gel nail application, make sure you approach a nail salon or a nail artist who is well versed with gel nails and is properly trained and mastered in gel applications. This will save you from problems that can arise with improper gel nail applications.

    ReplyDelete