Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jesus Christ Superstar

I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber's and Tim Rice's rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar last night. It was fantastic. The play is currently on tour around the country.

The plot takes place in the last days of Jesus on Earth from The Last Supper to the Crucifixion and Resurrection. A good portion of the plot is based around the dissatisfaction of Judas with Jesus. We know how that ended!

My mom saw the play in the 1970s, and she said it was very controversial because of a scene with Mary Magdalene and Jesus where she sings "I Don't Know How to Love Him." I also thought the actors playing Jesus and Mary in this production were a little more touchy-feely than was necessary.

Ted Neeley played Jesus. He also had the title role on Broadway in the 1970s and in the 1974 movie version for which he received a Golden Globe nomination. I thought he looked much older than Jesus's 33, but I had no idea that he is 65! It's amazing that he can still hit those high notes and scream. During the songs "The Temple" and "I Only Want to Say," he really gets up there.

James Delisco played Judas. He was excellent as were the other disciples. Go see this if you have the opportunity because it may only run through this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment