Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bargain hunting at discount stores





[zappos.com/shoebuy.com]

I'm sure you've seen the TJ Maxx's and Marshall's 'Spendervention' commercials where friends stage an intervention for their over-paying, department store-shopping friend. One girl exclaims, "You can be beautiful and smart!"

I have to say that I have become a fan of these stores. A new Ross just opened near me (right next to a Marshalls!). I went there yesterday and found one of my favorite workout shirts, the 'Dri-FIT Victory sleeveless top' by Nike, for $8.99 (from $35) and an adorable pair of Enzo Angiolini oxfords for $17.99 (from $129.95, see photo).

Just a few weeks ago, I bought the pictured Diane von Furstenberg suitcase from Marshalls for $49 (regularly $300)! Marshall's and TJ Maxx often carry Betsey Johnson products including bags, belts and hosiery. I found a fabulous pair of Chinese Laundry stilettos at Marshalls this summer for $39.99 that Nordstrom were still selling for almost $100.

I have also recently spotted some great beauty buys too, like Essie nail polish, full-sized perfumes, like L.A.M.B., and Frederic Fekkai hair products. There are often good home buys too like Yankee candles and Kitchenaid products. Sometimes you can even find fabulous stationary (for those of us who still write letters) and books (I've often seen the Twilight Saga there). I also have found some good things at Stein Mart.

Not everything in these stores is a treasure of course, but you can find some great deals. Here are my rules for shopping at these discount stores...

1) Visit often. The more you go, the more likely you are to find something amazing - especially since new shipments arrive often.

2) Don't get discouraged. Sometimes when you go to these kind of stores, you won't find a single thing. Other times, you'll hit the jackpot!

3) Give your items the once-over for signs of damage. I've heard that most of the time, the items these stores carry are simply overstock. However, it never hurts to double check.

4) Take the time to scour the racks. Especially if you're looking for clothes, you may have to really search.

5) Ask yourself if you would buy this at a "regular-priced store." If the answer is no, and you're only buying for the cheap price then it's best to step away from the item!

2 comments:

  1. great tips - i LOOOOVE ross! omg, have you ever been to nordstrom rack? it's kind of ridic. i love that place

    ReplyDelete