Monday, February 23, 2009

Best and worst at the Oscars

[Steve Granitz/WireImage]

Light colors like ivory and white reigned on the red carpet. Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman, Marisa Tomei, Taraji P. Henson, Evan Rachel Wood and Penelope Cruz were all wearing gorgeous dresses in ethereal colors. I was disappointed with Kate Winslet's steel gray Atelier YSL gown and helmet hair. At least she had a fabulous acceptance speech to make up for it.

Best
-Penelope Cruz. The Best Supporting Actress winner's vintage white Pierre Balmain dress was very elegant. She wore it with a 69-carat Chopard necklace.

-Reese Witherspoon. The Best Director presenter's black-and-blue Rodarte gown embellished with Swarovski crystals was daring and different. I like that she took a risk.

-Anne Hathaway. Her sparkly, strapless silver Armani Prive gown was majorly glamorous. The back of the dress was especially pretty.

-Natalie Portman. Her hot pink, strapless Rodarte gown was lovely. She accessorized with bling by Kwiat.

-Angelina Jolie. I hate to say it since I'm not a huge fan, but I liked her black strapless Elie Saab gown with a sweetheart neckline. The giant emerald ring and earrings were pretty much amazing.

Honorable mention
-Jennifer Aniston. The presenter wore a silver Valentino strapless dress with Jimmy Choo shoes. She worked it even with Brangelina looming in the front row.

-Tina Fey. The funny girl wore a silver sparkly Zac Posen dress. I was happy to see her finally mix things up beyond basic black.

Worst
-Beyonce. Her black-and-gold House of Dereon gown looked tight and extremely uncomfortable.

-Whoopi Goldberg. The presenter wore a leopard dress that showcased her chest tattoo. It scared me.

-Jessica Biel. I didn't like her white satin Prada gown. As much as we know she works out, why would you want a huge piece of extraneous fabric draped over you?

-Heidi Klum. Her red Roland Mouret gown was too busy with the asymmetrical cut and folds. Her coral bracelets and earrings also seemed out of place.

-Sophia Loren. Yes, she looks great for 74, but her yellow froufrou dress was straight out of 1980.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to see Beyonce's dress; however, I did see Biel's and it was awful! I thought Jennifer A. was adorable! I definitely want to see Reese's dress. Love your commentary! On the mark!

    ReplyDelete