Sunday, February 22, 2009

Successful Academy Awards



The Academy Awards tonight were by far the best I've ever watched. I think that the new format appeals to a larger audience. It didn't feel like a stuff awards show like it sometimes can.

Triple-threat Hugh Jackman opened with a song and dance montage of the nominated films. Anne Hathaway joined him for a Frost/Nixon duet. Who knew she could sing? Hugh did a great job hosting. I also loved his song-and-dance routine with Beyonce, Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Dominic Cooper and Amanda Seyfried. However, was Miss Beyonce lipsynching? We'll probably never know.

I liked the way they announced the best actor and supporting actor awards. Previous winners including Anthony Hopkins and Shirley MacLaine came out on stage and gave an introduction for each nominee. It made the awards seem more personal, and I know that the actors appreciated it.

Sean Penn and Kate Winslet were the Best Actor and Actress winners. For me it was a toss-up between Mickey Rourke and Sean, but I figured the Academy would give it to Sean. Heath Ledger and Penelope Cruz won for their supporting roles. Heath's family accepted his award on behalf of his daughter which was a tearjerker. Slumdog Millionaire took home a lot of awards including Best Picture, Best Director (Danny Boyle) and Best Song ("Jai Ho").

No comments:

Post a Comment