Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stephen King trashes Stephenie Meyer

Stephen King had this to say about Twilight author Stephenie Meyer in USA Weekend, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

It sounds to me like he might have a case of the green-eyed monster. Last time I checked, people weren't exactly comparing King to Faulkner or Hemingway. Regardless of his opinion, any author who is able to reach so many millions of people is a successful writer. To me a "good" writer is one whose writing causes you to become lost in the story that they are telling. It's interesting that this terrible writing has been translated into 37 different languages and sold over 40 million copies.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! As someone who loves reading, King has never--and I mean never--been an author who catches my attention! Meyer, however, uses so many writer's craft techniques that her stories leap off the page. I don't see King's novels inspiring millions and billions of girls AND boys to read! King is more than jealous he's wanderlustful of Meyer's craft!

    ReplyDelete