Friday, February 20, 2009

Carnevale di Venezia

[Destination 360]

Venice Carnival 2009 started last Saturday, February 14, and it goes until next Tuesday, February 24. Oh, how I wish I was there!

The mask tradition in Venice dates back to 1268. Carnival was outlawed by the fascist government in the 1930s but was recently revived in the 1980s.

Maskmakers used to hold a special place in Venetian society. If you ever get to beautiful Venice (which is a must-do for anyone), you need to buy a mask. When I was there I bought my mask from Ca' Macana, the shop that made the masks for Eyes Wide Shut. You can also get them on their site, http://www.camacana.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating. Intriguing! I want to know why the masks were outlawed. Any answers? That's one thing that I wish I had bought in Venice!! My advice: buy, buy, buy while on the vacation of a life time!

    ReplyDelete