Friday, April 23, 2010

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Despite the lengthy title (which I kept messing up when recommending the book to people), it's a delightful book.

The novel is written in a series of letters. It may take a while at first to get the hang of who is writing whom, but after twenty or so pages I got it. The characters are so likable, and I really sympathized with them.

Author Juliet is the center of letter correspondences. She eventually tries to piece together a novel about Guernsey, one of the Channel islands, after World War II is over. She corresponds with a particular group of islanders who formed the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The society is essentially a book club that was formed one night by chance. It amazingly helped them get through the awful German occupation of Guernsey.

Juliet begins to truly care for the people she's writing about and eventually goes to visit them. Once she visits them, she knows she'll never return to London. There's also a touch of romance. My only complaint is that I wish that Juliet and Dawsey would've realized their love for one another sooner.

Also, I really want to visit Guernsey now. Perhaps I will on my next trip to England or France.

No comments:

Post a Comment