Monday, March 1, 2010

"Shutter Island"

I finally saw Shutter Island. I feel like they've been showing previews of this Martin Scorcese-directed movie for at least a year. Despite the long wait, it didn't disappoint. I think I was on the edge of my seat for most of the film. It was a little creepy/scary at times (that could just be me because I'm a scaredy cat), but it's mostly suspenseful.

Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent as Teddy Daniels, a U.S. Marshall investigating a missing patient at Shutter Island, a hospital/prison for the criminally insane. His partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) goes with him to investigate. Daniels' wife (Michelle Williams) died from an apartment fire set by a man who is at the prison. He's often visited by her ghost or image in his dreams (as seen in the photo below).
Daniels is trying to blow the lid on some inhumane experimenting on the patients that's going on at the prison. These experiments are supposedly led by Dr. Cawley (Ben Kingsley).

The ending of the film was shocking to me. I don't want to give anything away, but it's a Sixth Sense sort of ending. Leo is of course great in his role. Is there a better crier in the acting biz? I honestly don't think so. This is one of those movies that you'll think about for days to come and wonder if there were signs you missed that could've helped you figure things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment